I want to share with you some insight into something that I am extremely passionate about. You have probably heard me talk about living life “the way we are intended to live it”. Sadly this is usually not in alignment with the habits that are considered culturally “normal”. This is extremely true with nutrition. What is considered acceptable at this time is far from what is appropriate and natural for our bodies.
But there is good news! Many of these major flaws which can be extremely detrimental to our health, (especially when repeated for a lifetime) can be fixed or removed…and quite easily. The main challenge is simply learning what is really happening so that you can adjust accordingly. It is crucial to be able to assess patterns in the world around us and look beyond “what we have always known” in our own lifetime.
In recent history, some things have gotten better and others have gotten worse. Below you will see several references to the way things were in the last 50-100 years. This is not to say it was perfect back then but to look honestly at cause and effect of the way we currently live. For example there has been a massive rise in sugar intake in the last 30 years and a directly correlated rise in obesity and diabetes.
One of my main goals with Iron Will Sports and Fitness is to provide practical wisdom beyond the propaganda…to sift through the vast false information and provide you with truth so that you can make your own informed decision. It is my belief that health and fitness should not be an overwhelming, unattainable endeavor. It should merely be a series of small shifts and decisions that add up over a lifetime causing you to live in ever-increasing health and strength! Sounds good, right?!
It is difficult to fix (or improve) something if you don’t know what the problem is. Here are some of the flaws with the “modern” diet. Some you might be familiar with while others are less obvious. To see the expanded list of these prominent issues, click the graph below.
*Notice the drastic recent increase in fast food!
Do any of these apply to you??
- Eating too much processed food
- Americans currently spend TWICE AS MUCH as they did in 1982 on processed food
- Consequently, adults are now twice as likely to be obese and children are three times as likely!
- Sugar consumption
- The average American eats THREE POUNDS of sugar each week
- This is a 39% increase from 1950-2000
- A huge reason for this is excessive soda, fruit juices and sweetened drinks
- Flawed assumptions about eggs
- When buying high quality eggs (organic, free-range), they contain extremely healthful fats
- In 1950, the average person ate 375 eggs per year. That number dropped to 250 in 2007
- Less nutritious wheat
- Around 1960, modern “dwarf” wheat was introduced
- Since then, wheat contains 19-28% less of important minerals like Magnesium, Zinc, Copper and Iron
- Modern wheat is more harmful to people with gluten sensitivity
One of the simplest ways I can summarize current nutrition issues is: “far too much sugar and not nearly enough healthful fat!”
So, my challenge to you is to honestly assess your nutritional habits. As you do that, you may want to stop and think, “how would my great grand parents have done this?” Or, “how would this work if I lived on a farm instead of in the city?” Look and see where you may have flaws that came from the atmosphere around you, your upbringing, convenience or laziness. Generally these are not difficult fixes. But we have to identify them first. Then we can find a better way. Let me know if you come up with any gems. I love hearing about people’s breakthroughs!
Living life the way it is supposed to be lived,